DAI Brussels in partnership with Deutsche Forstservice is implementing a project in Liberia funded by the European Commission titled: Long Term Technical Assistance for the implementation of the Voluntary Partnership Agreement (hereafter VPASU-2). The project runs for a period of three years and involves working closely with stakeholders in government and the community on good governance, inclusive and sustainable economic development focussing on the forest sector. See Annex 1 for the full terms of reference of the VPA-SU2 project.
The Finance Manager is a full-time position with VPASU-2 to support effective local operations in Liberia. It involves working under the supervision of the Team Leader to deliver project financial management in line with DAI, EU and Government of Liberia requirements, and providing ad-hoc support to key areas of project operations.
- Financial management
- Management of financial resources and expenditure operations of the VPASU-2 Project.
- Financial planning: receiving budget and utilisation reports from the DAI Brussels home office, reviewing planned activities with the of the VPASU-2 Project team, updating the forecast and sending a funds request on a monthly basis.
- Supervising procurement of goods and services.
- Making payments to vendors ensuring required documents are obtained and completed for all transactions in line with policies, such as purchase requests, approvals, invoices and receipts.
- Ensure systematic electronic and physical filing.
- Support to tailor the VPASU-2 Project financial management manual and lead on establishing clears steps, responsibilities and timing around the team to manage finances.
- Oversee and work closely with the Administration Manager who will assist with financial operations.
- Maintaining account records (e.g. entering transactions into excel cashbooks), reconciling accounts on a weekly basis and sending end of month reconciliations with supporting documentation to the DAI Brussels home office.
- Supervision of petty cash, ensuring approvals and supporting documents are obtained and maintained.
- Oversight and maintenance of the VPASU-2 Project assets register.
- Work with the Administration Manager to occasionally contribute to areas of project operations, such as contracting, tax compliance management, human resources, supplier management and logistics.
- Other tasks as reasonably agreed with the Team Leader.
- A recognized accounting qualification.
- At least five years of professional experience.
- Three or more years of experience in financial management, with demonstrated knowledge of tasks required for the role (as described above).
- Experience working with the Government of the Republic of Liberia, international organisations or on international development projects is preferred. Past experience with EU projects would be an asset.
- Possessing a highly detailed and systematic approach to financial accounting and record keeping.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Fluent written and spoken in English.
Start/end date: 15th July 2019 – 14th July 2020 (12 months) – Extendable subject to the agreement of all parties through to 19thMarch 2022 (final project end date)
Inputs: Full Rime / 220 working days over 12 months
Location: Primarily Monrovia, Liberia with occasional domestic travel within Liberia.
Travel: Domestic Travel within Liberia may be required from time to time
Supervision: Reporting to the Team Leader
Application Deadline: 28/06/2019