Title: Director of Gender Equity.
Reports to: Executive Director, Research
Location: Kigali with travels locally and Internationally.
Role Purpose: This role is a new effort to support research, teaching, and knowledge dissemination that promotes gender equity in health systems, business and society. “We want to ground discussions about gender” also for creating future partnerships and manage the gender mentorship program at the University. The Director is also responsible for leading the development and implementation of the gender inclusiveness strategy within the University.
- Lead the drafting, development, implementation of a relevant Gender Equity curriculum.
- Lead the recruitment of the center’s full-time and part-time faculty.
- Oversee students’ admission process in collaboration with the recruitment and admissions office.
- Supervise the Gender Equity faculty in accordance with the regulations that govern academic faculty.
- Serve as a teacher and mentor to Gender Equity, MGHD (Global Health Delivery) and MBBS (MD) students
- Participate in the teaching and learning programs across the different academic programs at UGHE such as Executive education, MGHD (Global Health Delivery), MBBS (MD) and others
- Conduct academic research and quality improvement activities in collaboration with faculty members and members of UGHE
- Lead the development and implementation of the gender inclusiveness strategy within the University.
- Develop the department’s strategic plan
- Develop annual budgets for effective and sustainable functioning of the department
- Collaborate with other leaders of UGHE to develop guidelines and policies specific to the program.
- Interact and collaborate with other directors at UGHE to sustain an interdisciplinary relationship.
- Build and sustain academic and professional relationships with other universities.
- Represent UGHE and the department in the community, local, regional and international conferences and summits
- Create mechanisms that Strengthen women’s voice and agency by focusing on women as individual leaders in their family, their community, their church and social networks, their business, their government and in their political processes.
- Improve women’s economic empowerment by supporting approaches that generate employment for women or enable them to be more productive in their businesses, whether they be in the cash economy or at the subsistence/informal level.
- Create awareness about Reducing violence against women by supporting programs that work to reduce violence and supporting women who are subjected to violence; to appropriately challenge cultural and social norms that enable violence to continue at such high levels within the region and world over.
Qualifications And Experience
- Master’s degree in either public or global health and/or master’s degree in gender studies.
- 3+ years’ experience in leadership roles in gender mainstreaming, gender equity and equality projects.
- Experience teaching with innovative teaching methods, such as team-based learning and problem-based learning, blended learning, formative assessment, peer instruction, or online learning.
- Experience in developing and implementing curricula in higher education settings.
- Track-record of publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience working in a multicultural environment.
- Experience with new and rapidly-growing organizations, initiatives, or departments, with an entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- A passion for excellence, and a unique ability to build strong relationships
- Demonstrated experience in conducting mentorship and training programs in gender related topics.
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Great working environment that allows one to reach their greatest potential.
- Prospective career growth opportunities.
UGHE is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.