Position: Chief of Party
Reports to: IDG Home Office Project Director
Location: Monrovia, Liberia
Status: Expat, CCN, TCN
Period of Performance: 5 Years
Position Description: The Chief of Party will be responsible for leading and managing the overall operations of the DELTA activity. The COP will work closely with USAID/Liberia’s Program Office, Mission technical offices, staff and management from other USAID implementing partner operated activities, and representatives of the Government of Liberia and other international donor stakeholders to ensure that USAID’s assistance to Liberia is informed by solid empirical evidence and analysis that can be used by the Mission.
- Provide overall project vision, technical leadership and management;
- Achieve program results efficiently, in a timely fashion and in compliance with USAID, US Government policies and procedures;
- Serve as the main point of contact for the contract with the USAID Mission, implementing partners, other donors, the host country’s government (Government of the Republic of Liberia “GOL”);
- Lead work planning, including contingency planning if necessary, and oversee the operations of the contract to achieve successful implementation of activities;
- Mentor local staff to enhance capacity and actively contribute expertise to the Contract overall and provide strategic and operational direction;
- Oversee project management systems for finance and administration, logistics, human resources and strategic operation;
- Ensure the completion of timely reports, evaluations, analyses, assessments, and deliverables that meet USAID quality control/assurance standards; and
- Ensure compliance with the terms and conditions of the Contract.
- Ten years of professional experience working with issues related to planning, design, and performance management of international development assistance programs, preferably those funded by the USG.
- Advanced degree in a field relevant to development assistance, international affairs, political science, sociology, economics, statistics, business, public administration, organizational development, communications, or a closely related field.
- Demonstrated progressive experience as COP or a similar role managing a multi-year USAID project of similar, scope and complexity to DELTA. This includes leading projects requiring evaluations, learning, as well as the recruitment and supervision of long and short-term staff and consultants.
- Experience with building and managing stakeholder relationships with senior Mission and embassy officials, GOL officials, and other in country stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal communication, presentation, and negotiating skills.
- Strong understanding of multi-sectoral development theory.
- Thorough working knowledge of USG operations, regulations, policies, procedures and
- Familiarity with the Liberian culture, society and development context or that of other
similar countries in the region.
- Experience in comparable post-conflict countries.