- Full Time
UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help build nations that can withstand crisis and support their efforts to implement the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and achieve the new Sustainable Development Goals. UNDP works in nearly 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results.
The UNDP Regional Bureau for Africa has identified partnerships and communications as a core strategic area of growth in support of its work in the Africa region. Focus on this area is motivated by the new demands posed by the 2030 and 2063 Agendas, which require of concerted actions from all development actors, in order to achieve their ambitious goals for socioeconomic transformation and sustainable development.
Objective and Scope of work:
Under the guidance of the Communications Analyst and under the overall supervision of the Resident Representative, the Strategic Communications consultant will be responsible for providing high quality services in the following areas, based on an in- depth understanding of local and national contents while incorporating lessons learnt from global practices:
1] Content Editing:
- Editing articles, policy briefs and other papers
- Editing media related pieces of content such as Op-eds, articles, press releases, etc.
2] Help strengthen media outreach
- Draft and or/ edit a range of materials, including press releases and advisories, news briefs, fact sheets for inclusion in media kits and further public outreach.
3] Strategic guidance and training
- Train and work with the Senior Management and Communications teams to produce op-eds, speeches and organize interviews
- To assist programme managers to draft publishable opinion pieces.
Duration of the contract
The assignment is expected to take 60 workdays spread over 9 months.
Required expertise and experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in communications, Public Relations, marketing, media relations, journalism, international relations, development or another related field.
- A minimum of seven (10) years of relevant experience in one or more of the following areas: public relations, communications, journalism or advocacy, of which 3-5 years at the international level required;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in media relations and/or advocacy campaigns at the international level, using traditional and social media, multi-media and a variety platform required;
- Good understanding of Africa’s development challenges and priorities, and
- At least 2 years’ experience with training on coaching people on writing opinion pieces, speeches and storytelling.
- Understanding of international development issues and previous experience with a multilateral or UN organization is a strong asset.
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills in English.
Deadline on: 03-Feb-2021 12:00 (GMT 2.00) Kaliningrad, South Africa