- Full Time
Senior Technical Advisor – Court Administration Advisor, Liberia
ABA ROLI seeks an expert Court Administration Advisor to oversee an assessment of the operational policies governing the work of the Liberian Judiciary’s administrative staff. Following three years of collaboration with the Liberian Judiciary, including the Office of the Public Defender, ABA ROLI now looks to expand its in-country engagement by supporting improved systems and processes within the Judiciary’s administrative offices. This position will play a key role in supporting ABA ROLI’s overall goal of improving the efficiency and transparency of judicial proceedings and fostering greater public trust in Liberian judicial institutions.
The Court Administration Advisor will conduct a thorough initial assessment of the formal operational policies currently applicable to Judiciary administrative staff, with special emphasis on court clerks, stenographers, bailiffs, and jury management personnel. This assessment will encompass the strength of, and adherence to, formal policies, and will identify all capacity-building resource or training needs. Where policy deficiencies are noted, recommendations for revision will be made. Where capacity gaps and training needs are identified, the Court Administration Advisor will partner with the Judicial Institute to develop corresponding training curricula, and to organize and conduct training sessions.
The ideal candidate will possess a demonstrated ability to motivate and establish common goals with administrators and employees at all levels throughout judicial institutions and have a proven track record of conducting assessments and effecting reform in challenging operating environments.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
· Responsible for the development, oversight, and management of special projects related to Court Administration with emphasis on monitoring and improving daily operations throughout circuit and magisterial courts.
· Serves as a subject matter expert and advisor/resource for DC and field staff, particularly for program and proposal development.
· Develops and assists in the coordination and management of US and field-based special events and regional workshops
· Directs efforts to investigate and pursue program development/expansion opportunities and coordinates the development and maintenance of relationships with U.S.-based funders/partners. Assists in the development and maintenance of funder/partner relationships in the field.
· Supports the regional divisions in the identification, recruitment, and orientation of individuals to be posted in DC or in the field to relevant positions.
· Provides subject matter expertise as a speaker/presenter at international conferences/symposia, authors academic articles, pursues leadership roles in appropriate boards and committees, and participates in the international efforts to develop standards on rule of law reform.
· Manages relevant substantive practice group.
· Prepares U.S. and field-based assessments of draft law, concept papers, and research pertaining to court operations and case management.
· Coordinates the implementation and management of relevant assessment tools and methodologies relating to jury management and analyze case flow.
· Performs other related duties as required.
Required Education, Qualifications, Experience
· Possession of a Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school or recognized foreign law school, or possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
· At least ten years’ experience in one or more thematic areas.
· At least eight years’ experience in international development.
· Minimum five years’ experience in court administration and management, including three years of supervisory experience
· Demonstrated knowledge of case management principles and processes
· Demonstrated experience designing and conducting formal assessments of the efficiency of case management systems, jury management systems, and court operating procedures
· Experience developing and strengthening standard operating procedures and implementing court administrative reforms
· Prior experience with Liberian judicial institutions
· Demonstrated international experience working on court administration reform projects
How to apply
Please apply on our website: ROLI Africa ABA ROLI Sr Technical Advisor – Court Administration Advisor, Liberia – Career Portal (dayforcehcm.com)