Location: Anglophone WARO (Ghana, Sierra Leone, Liberia) Contract: Permanent Salary: Local Terms and Conditions apply
Purpose of role
Our Global Advocacy team are looking for a Global Advocacy Officer to join them on a permanent basis. This role will focus on further integrating global advocacy work within the Anglophone WARO country offices, Ghana, Sierra Leone and Liberia. The post-holder will support the effective delivery of advocacy initiatives at country level and the integration of advocacy objectives into donor funded projects across a range of issues within Anglophone WARO.
About the role of Global Advocacy Officer, Anglophone WARO
- Support the Senior Global Advocacy Advisor to provide technical support to country offices for the development and implementation of strategic advocacy at the national level, both within and outside of donor funded programmes, to address systemic issues in eye health, universal health coverage (UHC), inclusive education and disability rights.
- Advise on the integration of advocacy objectives into donor funded programmes across a range of issues within Sightsavers’ countries in West Africa. Participate in proposal development calls and work with countries to define advocacy objectives.
- Work with the Senior Global Advocacy Advisor to provide technical support, training and capacity building to Anglophone WARO country offices for advocacy. This includes supporting country offices to identify change objectives, plan and implement advocacy activities, build relationships with decision makers, and produce relevant resources.
- Work with country offices to share successes and learning from their advocacy work with other country offices within and outside of the region.
- Maintain a database of all active programmes, the advocacy objectives within them and the progress towards them within Anglophone WARO.
- Draft regular reports and case studies on advocacy activity within WARO, and proactively share information with colleagues via internal information sharing platforms.
- Work with the Senior Global Advocacy Advisor to map and engage with key stakeholders, networks, coalitions, and forums at the regional level, including regional intergovernmental bodies and the regional offices of multilaterals, to maximise advocacy opportunities and link global objectives to the regional level.
- Support national delivery of SIM card reporting and ensure timely reporting of SIM across the Anglophone WARO region.
- Ensure that Sightsavers’ safeguarding policy processes are adhered to.
- Deputise for the Senior Global Advocacy Advisor as required.
Knowledge, skills and experience for Global Advocacy Officer, Anglophone WARO
- Experience of working on international development or other relevant policy areas within an INGO
- Experience of supporting advocacy work at national and international levels
- Understanding of development issues / knowledge of current issues and best practice in international development
- Educated to degree or Master’s level, or equivalent experience in relevant topic
- Fluent in written and spoken English
The Global Advocacy Officer, Anglophone WARO is a highly varied and involved role and the above is not an exhaustive list of duties or required professional skills. Please see the Job Description for full details.
The interview process will be in two stages, first stage will be a virtual interview followed by a task and final interview for successful applicants.
Interviews are likely to take place mid August 2022
We reserve the right to close this ad early.
How to apply
As an equal opportunity employer we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader therefore qualified people living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply
To apply, and for further details about the role, please use our web site and click on the Apply Here icon.
Please apply in English and ensure you detail all your relevant work experience within your application form.