Swedish Red Cross
- Full Time
The Swedish Red Cross (SRC) has been engaged in Liberia for many years and has supported the work of Liberian National Red Cross Society (LNRCS) since the end of the civil wars in Liberia. SRC has over the years supported several different projects in Liberia, both long-term resilience building projects and more emergency oriented projects. The SRC and the LNRCS are both part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (the Movement). The Movement – consisting of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) – is the world’s largest humanitarian network. The strength of Movement is in the volunteer network consisting of 80 million people, and in the community-based expertise. As partners, the different members of the Movement improve humanitarian standards, work as partners in development, respond to disasters, support healthier and safer communities, reduce vulnerabilities, strengthen resilience and foster a culture of peace. For the Movement inclusive community engagement is central for trust-building and peaceful coexistence. The Movement also works in cooperation with governments, donors and other aid organizations to assist vulnerable people around the world and through the broad network of volunteers the National Societies of the Movement are able to maintain presence in communities before, during and after an emergency.
LNRCS played a crucial role in contributing to halt the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) outbreak through its nationwide operations, providing safe and dignified burials, psychosocial support that reached 2,4 million people with sensitization activities etc. However, the LNRCS at the same time experienced serious integrity issues during the EVD operation which resulted in the dissolvent of its board and the dismissal of its senior management. At the moment, the LNRCS is working to rebuild its national society.
SRC and LNRCS have developed a three-year project that aims at contributing to a sustainable LNRCS empowering vulnerable communities through voluntary actions and delivering integrated services without discrimination, contributing to peace and development. The project is focusing on four components identified by the LNRCS as key in achieving a more sustainable National Society with capacity to address needs in most vulnerable communities. The components are; chapter and branch development, volunteer management, gender and diversity and resource mobilization. Part of the project focuses on the LNRCS at a national level to ensure that the systems, structures and policies needed are in place. Focus is also on increasing the LNRCS financial sustainability at the national level. The other part of the project will focus on three pilot chapters; River Gee, Sinoe and Grand Kru and branches and communities in these counties to work to strengthen the LNRCS local presence in these areas to enable the National Society to support especially vulnerable communities to become more resilient.
This position will be based in Monrovia, but includes field trips to, especially, the targeted districts. You will provide technical support to the LNRCS implementing the project and strengthen its organizational capacity both at branch, chapter and national level. The role of the delegate will be to support the LNRCS and its core staff to implement activities in an organizational sustainable manner aiming at strengthening the organizational capacity of the LNRCS and contributing to more resilient communities across Liberia. The delegate is hence not expected to implement activities him/herself, but to guide, coach and train LNRCS staff to ensure sustainability and ownership.
Key duties and responsibilities
Specific tasks include but are not limited to:
- Support the LNRCS in strengthening the capacity of three of chapters and six branches to enable the capacity needed to meet the needs of the most vulnerable in communities
- Support the LNRCS in planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of micro projects in targeted communities aiming to increase resilience
- Support the LNRCS in the continued revitalization of their volunteer network and their volunteer development
- Support the LNRCS in contributing to that women, girls, boys and in targeted communities have equal opportunities to participate and decide
- Support the LNRCS to increase the representation of women in LNRCS governance at national, chapter and branch level
- Support the LNRCS in the implementation of SGBV and human rights activities at schools
- Support the LNRCS in strengthening their domestic resource mobilization
- Ensure that there is a link between SRC and other movement resources within the technical areas
- Work together with SRC desk officer/project delegate to coordinate, manage, monitor and report on the project
- Work together with SRC technical advisors in the project’s thematic areas
- In collaboration with SRC desk officer/project delegate, coordinate with other movement actors as well non-movement actors
- Be an ambassador to the Red Cross in the field
- Relevant academic background
- Experience in supporting organizational and capacity development processes in complex organizations
- Experience in the field of branch development and specifically volunteer development and volunteer management systems
- Expertise within project cycle and financial management
- Experience of training and coaching staff and/or volunteers
- Experience in the field of protection, gender and inclusion is an asset
- Experience in the field of community engagement and accountability is an asset
- Experience from the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement is an asset
- Field experience from resource scarce settings, preferably from West Africa
- Experience from working in contexts with moderate or high security risks, including relevant security training.
- Proficient knowledge of written and spoken English
- Well-funded in the IFRC concept of National society development (NSD) is an asset
- Good interpersonal skills and team oriented.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Constructive, flexible and solution oriented.
- Ability to positively interact with all levels of society.
- Awareness and understanding of cultural and gender differences, and able to work constructively in cultural diverse environments.
- Must be able to handle high workloads and stressful circumstances.
- Must be able to live and work under demanding physical and stressful conditions in remote locations.
- Medical clearance for the assignment is required. You will be asked to undergo a pre-employment medical examination before being contracted
- Ability to travel in the field during periods is required for the position
- As a Swedish Red Cross employee, we expect you to share the Red Cross/Red Crescent humanitarian values. The movements values diversity and actively works against all forms of discrimination
- If you are appointed to a role within Swedish Red Cross you will be subject to the organization’s Code of Conduct, a copy of which you can find on our website. It is of utmost priority that you understand respect and comply with the Code of Conduct
- In line with the principle of neutrality, the SRC does not assign personnel to a country of which they are nationals
- Candidates must possess a manual driving license and experience in driving manual transmission vehicles
- Candidates must be in good health and will have to do a medical check-up prior to departure in the field
- Candidates must state their nationality in their application
- Please note that online tests and several interviews is part of the selection process
- We do a thorough reference check on relevant candidate
Dates and information
- Application deadline: 23 June 2019
- Place of assignment: Monrovia, Liberia (with extensive travel)
- Type of posting: International delegate (non-family posting)
- Length of mission: 12 months (with possibility of extension)
- Desired starting date: Mid-August 2019
To apply, please click this link:
Below the ad and the general information about the Red Cross Movement you find the button “Apply”. Click on “Apply”, fill out the form and download letter and CV. You will get an automatic confirmation that we have received your application.*
If you have trouble to get date of birth accepted, please try the format yymmdd (exampel 15 Jan 1975 = 750115).
Please note that only applications made through our website will be considered.
For more information about the position, please contact: Malin Bohlers, Desk Officer, West Africa, Swedish Red Cross. e-mail: email@example.com
We kindly decline any offer of services from recruitment agencies or consultants.