Reporting to the Country Director, the Assistant Country Director, Program Support (ACD PS) provides leadership, direction and is responsible for Country Office (CO) Administrative and Operational Support processes and functions embracing Administration, ICT, Procurement, Logistics, and routine business security. Furthermore, the ACD-PS is required to play a substantive and essential hands-one role in the development or enhancement of CO systems, policy and processes across the spectrum of all CO departments, including within Finance, HR, ICT and Program.
The post requires exceptional, proactive, professional operational management skills and experience, coupled with the ability to make coherent, and sometimes difficult decisions and/or recommendations to ensure program support is implemented efficiently and cost effectively, providing the highest quality services and information to “clients” at all the different levels of CARE, as well as for individuals, communities, donors, and other stakeholders.
With CARE’s “People at the Centre of Development” and values-based organizational culture, the ACD-PS is responsible for mentoring and team building that promotes staff personal and professional development. This requires strong interpersonal skills that will ensure integrity, excellent internal controls, and the conscientious stewardship of all entrusted resources.
As a key member of the CO’s Senior Management Team (SMT) s/he will participate in and be responsible for the strategic leadership and direction in the CO including the promotion of CARE’s core values. Representing and marketing CARE’s work and making decisions that advance the direction, quality and impact of the CARE Sierra Leone and Liberia Program is an expectation from all SMT members
Major responsibilities, principal tasks, competencies, and end results for which the position is accountable and percentage of time the employee spends on each responsibility during a typical year.
Employees who supervise other regular employees on a continuous basis should have Staff Management as an integral part of their job responsibilities.
- Strategic Leadership
- As a member of the Senior Management Team participate in and be responsible for the strategic leadership and direction of CARE Sierra Leone and Liberia. This includes developing policy and practice, representing and marketing CARE’s work, and making decisions that advance the direction, quality, and impact of the program.
- Financial, Budget and Award Management
- Coordinate the proper recording, documentation, control, monitoring and reporting of financial operations including Global AP in compliance with CARE and donor rules & regulations. Ensure compliance with CARE’s accounting policy and procedures and generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP); global policy and procedures; relevant financial, tax and administrative laws and reporting requirements. Develop and monitor the CO master and unrestricted budgets; provide strategic guidance for the effective recovery of shared program costs from restricted budgets; and support planning of project proposal budgets to ensure optimal program delivery and operational sustainability. Monitor donor awards and sub-awards and ensure timely and quality reporting as well as action to correct identified gaps. Oversee audit preparedness and implementation as necessary. Supervise finance team; advise on finance team structure and support capacity building for optimal performance. Monitor performance against KPIs and report monthly to the CD and SMT.
- Through the supervision of the Procurement Manager ensure the adherence to all policies and procedures, cost-efficiency and timely receipt and dispatch of all materials, equipment, and resources.
- Maintain oversight of key procurement KPIs, such as timely vendor payments, which may require coordination and collaboration with finance and other departments.
- Logistics including Transport
- Through the supervision of the Logistics Coordinator ensure a “client focused” service for all logistical and transport needs in the CO.
- Have oversight of CO stores, warehouses, and inventories to analyze consumption trends and stocking levels to ensure optimal efficiency and effectiveness.
- Maintain oversight of Transport including vehicle policy, procurement, utilization, maintenance, and cost benefit analysis of inhouse or outsourced service provision. Ensure that transport operates on a full cost recovery basis
- Administration, Program Quality Assurance and Staff Safety and Security
- Ensure the optimal management of all administrative processes and systems in all CO locations. This includes the management and maintenance of all property and assets.
- Ensure that all new policies and practice are incorporated and operationalized in the CO.
- Continuously review organizational capability and future needs and lead on improved service provision throughout the CO. This will include consideration of possible new organizational structures and business models as appropriate.
- Lead and direct cross unit and cross departmental communication, coordination, and management
- Lead on all legal, compliance, tax, insurance, and contractual matters in the CO. This will include acting as the point person for all internal and external communications and directly liaising with the CO Legal Advisor.
- Safety and Security:
- Through the CO Security Focal point ensure all regular aspects of CO safety and security policies and structures are strictly adhered to and conform to CARE USA’s highest expectations. Consistently review and consider operational risk throughout the country and oversee the security and safety of all staff and assets. Ensure fullest support to the CD in the event of a major safety or security incident where the incident magnitude mandated security and safety oversight be directly managed by the Country Director**.**
- Information and Communication Technologies
- Through the supervision of the ICT Coordinator ensure the provision of a “client focused” service of voice and data communication platforms throughout the country. This will require particular attention on cost effective solutions to communications needs and promoting new technology in order to assist and advise CARE and partners to make informed decisions.
- Systems improvement and development
- Across the CO spectrum, including HR, Finance and Programs, proactively, or in response to other sources, identify system or process inefficiencies, or lack thereof. Undertake measures, hands-on if appropriate, to develop or improve system or process flows. Develop for CD approval, supporting policies and procedures. Seek required resources if necessary and provide supporting direction or training to ensure maximum efficacy of newly introduced systems/policy changes.
- Provide oversight and engagement into both internal and external audits in order that systems and processes are developed or aligned to ensure audit findings are fully addressed and not repeated in future audits. Attention on cost effective solutions to communications needs and promoting new technology to assist and advise CARE Sierra Leone and Liberia team and partners to make informed decisions.
- At least University graduate, in Management, or other relevant trades
- MBA, Supply Chain Management or other Support Services related qualifications
- At least seven years of hands-on work experience in similar management senior positions, preferably in public value driven organizations.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of local languages desirable.
- Conflict management ability, tactfulness, a good sense of humor, self-discipline, and being value driven. Good understanding of local labor and employment laws
- Technical Skills:
- Proven experience of mentoring, training, and delegating
- Excellent interpersonal, people management & team building skills
- Accomplished facilitator and presenter
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Analytical skills as they relate to business processes
- Change Management/Organizational change skills
- Good knowledge of word processing and other areas of ICT
- Reasonable Finance Management skills including accounting and budgeting
How to apply
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
Starting salaries are based on internal equity, candidate experience, and the cost of labor where the job is based. Salaries listed only apply to jobs based in the US.”