This position is only open to Rwandan nationals
Laterite is a data, research, and analytics firm specialized in complex development challenges. We work with universities, global think tanks, international NGOs, multilateral donor organizations, and government ministries and agencies. Our clients include, for example, the World Bank, USAID, TechnoServe, Promundo, the Mastercard Foundation, and several UN agencies.
We currently have offices in the Netherlands, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, and Sierra Leone. The team brings together more than 80 full-time local and international staff, as well as 1,000+ enumerators across all countries. We are proud to be a culturally diverse organization, and we welcome applications from groups currently under-represented in our team. Learn more: www.laterite.com
We work in socio-economic development research projects. We believe that impact is a long-term endeavour that requires being embedded in the local context. Delivering high-quality research requires building local teams and data collection systems, knowing the country, and establishing close working relationships.
One of Laterite’s key strategic goals is to create a collaborative and rewarding working environment for our staff, where every team member feels engaged, represented, and heard. Laterite is committed to create opportunities for learning and career development within the team and across our offices.
Laterite is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
What you will do:
The Data Quality Analyst position is based in Kigali, Rwanda. Data Quality Analysts at Laterite play a hands-on role in the implementation of projects by ensuring that relevant quality control measures are in place at all key stages of a project, from research instruments coding to data collection processes to monitoring incoming data and data cleaning. Other responsibilities include contributing to the improvement of the current quality control processes and tools.
- Coding research instruments and reviewing them to ensure internal flow and consistency.
- Creating/adapting project specific monitoring tools.
- Training audit enumerators on project specific monitoring tools.
- Conducting regular quality checks on incoming data and sharing feedback with project lead in the Data Team.
- Cleaning and further processing incoming data.
- Coordinating data quality activities for small projects or parts of larger projects,
- Reporting on the progress of assigned tasks to the Data Quality Associate.
- Perform other duties as assigned by your line manager
Quality-team based responsibilities
- Contributing to the development of different data monitoring and processing tools.
- Contributing to the automation and documentation of existing data monitoring and processing tools.
- Working closely with other teams within Laterite to ensure quality control at the different stages of a research project cycle.
- Building and/or efficient management of internal systems for the management of Laterite’s resources and assets.
What you will bring:
- At least 1 year of work experience in a data heavy role.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Applied Economics, Statistics, Data Science or a related field.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis and related tools/software (in particular STATA).
- Excellent oral and written communications in English and Kinyarwanda
- Must be an Rwandan national
What’s in it for you?
Laterite offers a competitive remuneration package, including medical insurance and 21 days of annual leave. We are also committed to supporting our staff’s learning, providing an annual learning budget of up to $1,000 per person and 10 days of time off for professional learning each year. We also provide remote work options in accordance with Laterite’s remote work policy.
The salary for this role is between RWF 880,000 – RWF 1,200,000 net per month. The salary is paid in local currency and is re-adjusted for any devaluation in the currency compared to the US dollar based on the latest exchange rate (USD to local currency) of January 1st each year. The exact salary grade will be determined based on the selected candidate’s experience and performance in interviews. Salaries are pegged against the pay matrix, and grades are reviewed every 6 months. There is ample opportunity for growth both in terms of salary scales and roles. Promotions at Laterite are reviewed every 6 months during our performance evaluation.
How to apply
1). Numeracy and literacy assessment
The first step is to complete a 30-minute numeracy and literacy assessment for which no special preparation is needed.
Link to the assessment: https://form.jotform.com/230823400475550
2). Submit application
Successful candidates will then be invited to upload their CV and cover letter via our online application system.
3). Technical assessment
Candidates who meet the minimum requirements will be invited to complete two technical assessments. The first assessment is meant to test your capacity to process a dataset, the proficiency, efficiency and replicability of your code and your ability to clearly explain all the steps you take when processing data. The second assessment consists of using a SurveyCTO template to program a survey from a “paper” version to an excel form that can be uploaded to Laterite’s SurveyCTO server and used for offline data collection by our team of enumerators out in the field.
Successful candidates will then be invited to a first interview. The interview stage will consist of two rounds of interviews.
Interested candidates must apply by October 22, 2023.