IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $100 million, work in more than 100 countries worldwide with offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 600.
Summary of Position:
IREX seeks qualified Ghana-based Organizational Development Strengthening Advisor (ODSA) candidates to support the premiere Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI). The overall project objective is to elevate organizational effectiveness, scale and sustain leadership development and foster alumni impact. This program will empower and connect young African leaders as they spur inclusive economic growth and prosperity, strengthen democratic governance, and enhance peace and security across sub-Saharan Africa. The ODSA will provide technical leadership and oversight of the project’s capacity development strategy to strengthen partner organizations’ processes, knowledge, relationships, assets, and behaviors to improve performance. The intent of the capacity building investment is to ensure resilient and effective local organizations are available to support YALI’s objectives.
This position is contingent on funding. Only applicants based in Ghana will be considered.**
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership and oversight of the project’s organizational capacity development strategy using a holistic, collaborative framework and systems-thinking lens.
- Provide strategic inputs into the overall capacity development component, recommending adaptations based on ongoing lessons learned.
- Ensure diversity, equity, and inclusion in capacity-building.
- Advise on investments in organizational development, staff development, financial management, infrastructure and security, project design and management, governance, fundraising, and other areas.
- Lead/contribute to efforts to strengthen the capacity and effectiveness of consortium partners, local organizations and representatives to enable their independent and objective participation in engaging with Missions and Operating Units.
- Lead/contribute to efforts to assess the needs of, engage with, and support the priorities of youth groups around the African continent, including tailoring organizational capacity development approaches and tools to diverse needs and contexts.
- Help synthesize and distill promising/relevant approaches, tools, and learning to share with wider audiences, including across programs and with USAID and the broader development community.
- Support the development and realization of local organizations’ resource mobilization, sustainability, and resiliency strategies.
- Serve as a core member of the project leadership team, including collaborating with the project leadership team to ensure adherence to targets, timelines, budget management, and achievement of objectives.
- Some international travel will be required.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required; master’s degree highly preferred.
- At least seven (7) years of progressive experience, with specific experience supporting capacity building for local organizations in developing or transitional countries.
- Excellent grasp of participatory capacity development tools and methodologies; experience with performance improvement methodologies strongly preferred.
- Excellent facilitation and training skills, preferably with extensive experience working with youth-led organizations.
- Demonstrated experience developing organizational capacity in financial and grant management, human resources, USG compliance, and related topics.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal and creative problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ethical management practices.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with civil society partners and government stakeholders.
- Demonstrated familiarity with localization and inclusive development approaches that shift power and promote the rights and inclusion of youth populations in the development process.
- Professional fluency in English; professional proficiency in a second language preferred.
- Ability to travel internationally periodically.
How to apply
Click on https://bit.ly/OrganizationalYALI to submit your CV in English along with a cover letter summarizing your qualifications and stating your salary expectations for consideration.