European Committee for Agricultural Training
Regional Coordinator Kenya and Somalia
Closing date: 19/03/2023
Starting date: May 2023
Contract duration: 1 year with possibility to renew
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travels to all project’s area
Report to: Desk HQ
CEFA – the European Committee for Training and Agriculture (Comitato Europeo per la Formazione e l’Agricoltura) is an Italian NGO, which was established in 1972 and is currently active in 10 countries across Africa, Latin America and Europe. CEFA lays its foundation on the principles of solidarity and cooperation between the different regions of the world in the name of Justice, Human rights and peace. CEFA believes in the development of communities and local institutions, aiming to improve families’ living conditions and communities’ economies through capacity building, awareness raising and advocacy for the protection of vulnerable person’s and their fundamental human rights.
Objectives and general characteristics of the position:
- (S)he is represents the Organization in the countries of assignment and is responsible for the strategic planning, management and implementation of the country programs on the basis of defined strategies and indications.
- (S)he manages and coordinates the operations, security, human and financial resources in the region.
(S)he is responsible to:
Establish and maintain collaborative relations with Local Authorities and Institutions, Donors, International Agencies, NGOs and other stakeholders.
- Follow up, guarantee and monitor government recognition procedures for the organization in compliance with the host country formalities.
- Monitor donor’s priorities and intervention strategies in the country as well as to map and approach new donors. Lead the development of new, strategic concept notes and proposals at the regional level, including leading communication with donors, other partners, internal coordination and managing all related process with relevant stakeholders.
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate the implementation of the country operations – and all related administrative, financial, human resources, logistics and security aspects – ensuring timely and quality assistance delivery, as well as cost efficiency and accountability, in compliance with CEFA and donors guidelines, regulations and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(S)he is responsible to:
- Define country priorities based on context and needs analysis; monitor donor intervention strategies in the country; design, promote and elaborate new intervention.
- Assess, promote and submit new projects, following the procedures defined and promoting a spirit of participation among beneficiaries at all management stages, ensuring the transparency of the intervention.
- Strengthen existing partnerships, supporting engagement with new donors, identifying new opportunities, and coordinating the development of concept notes and proposals at the regional and country level.
- Continuously assess, analyze and evaluate the impact of the country operations, also through periodic visits to the areas of intervention
- Define the Regional Office’s financial plan, ensuring self-sufficiency and consistency of expenses, and assume responsibility for the mission funds management, including bank account
- Coordinate, guide and supervise the regional support staff and PMs, and evaluate their performance.
- Ensure the respect for the values, Code of Conduct and compliance with Organization Management and Control Policies and Procedures of CEFA within the region.
- Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings (i.e Somalia NGO consortium, Kenya CD coordination, donors meeting, project’s steering committees, security meetings etc)
- Act as secretary of CEFA board in Kenya, provide periodical information to the board and organize/chair meetings as per CEFA’s constitution in Kenya.
- Ensure constant coordination with the relevant security agencies and hold final responsibility for any decision concerning security.
- Supports the overall management of the office, ensuring compliance of the administration and logistic department.
- Identify gaps and needs and coordinate and support the capacity development of the regional team members.
- Knowledge of Italian language
- Fluency (C1/C2 level) in English (oral and written)
- University degree in a relevant field
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant working experience in Senior Management Position (CD/RC),
- Extensive experience working at a senior management level in medium to large-scale programs in the development and humanitarian sector.
- Proven record of solid program management skills.
- Solid experience in needs assessments and project proposal writing. Proven record of submitted proposals with positive outcomes.
- Familiarity and prior experience of working with major institutional humanitarian and development donors in the East Africa region (e.g., EU, IFAD, USAID, AICS, FAO).
- Demonstrated skills in people and financial management, as well as previous experience working in environments that require sensitivity and relationship-building skills.
- Extensive experience in networking, representation and liaison capacity, as well as strategic vision and leadership.
- Previous experience working in highly volatile context through remote management.
- Willingness to travel on a frequent basis to field bases in Somalia and Kenya.
- Self-motivated, flexible, resilient, able to take initiative and work independently.
- Ability to work under pressure, without compromising quality of work.
- Proven ability to handle challenging work load with high attention to details
- Demonstrate commitment towards diversity, equality and inclusion.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- High level of IT skills (Windows, Office package)
Desired skills and experiences:
- Master degree in a relevant field
- Knowledge of and experience working in the Somalia context highly desirable
How to apply
How to apply
To apply Please send a Resume and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with reference code: “your name_RC KenSom”.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
Unfortunately, due to the high number of applications we receive we are unable to provide feedback if unsuccessful at applicant stage. Only short-listed candidates will be updated on the status of their application.